Monday, April 18, 2011

“Posters”

They are everywhere, promoting the Carnival, selling the circus. I see those posters on the ride to work. I am assaulted by them at the grocery store. Bright colors and flashy words overloading my senses.
But I can’t look away. The imagery draws my attention like a disaster story on the six o’clock news. I am fascinated, and frightened. What lies in the hearts of clown and freaks? Why do I have this irrational desire to attend one or the other?
There, the flyer for El Circa de Cykoticas claims to be the “most incredible display between Heave and Hell!”, and I want to know if its true. Is Caliberini really as amazing as his name suggest? Just how daring is the juggler, Deadeye? Would the beauty of X-tacy truly break my heart? That placard sells it so well…
And over here, a placard for the Carnival of Chaos. “Come out for the ride of your life!”, it screams. They have a magician, and a ventriloquist act. There is a freak show featuring the Dogfaced Boy, Jumbo Jenna, and a real-life dragon. Do they really have the tallest roller coaster in the world? I don’t know, but I want to find out.
The child in me is bouncing around in anticipation for a show. I want to go to both, but I can only afford one. Oh, the agony of choice. Damn posters!

2 comments:

  1. That's a lot of quotes and surprisingly, I've never heard them before.
    Nancy
    N. R. Williams, The Treasures of Carmelidrium.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carnival and circus posters over definitely over the top when they lure us in, but it's such a great art form. They entice us with glamor and glitz with a hint of the mysterious and exotic.
    The promises are what draw us and the payoff is usually enough to keep us coming back.


    Lee
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete