Monday, April 4, 2011

"Dummy"

"You know what the difference is between a ventriloquist and his dummy? One is the brains of the operation, the other tries to talk without moving his mouth...Ha!"

The tuxedoed puppet known as Bucky clutched his sides as he cackeled maniacally at his own joke. He sat in a tiny chair, built to a scale that suited him, rocking back on two legs. Next to him, hundched uncomfortably in the small trailer, was the massive form of Edgar, who by standards was considered a giant. His abnormal proportions were all the more apparent when compared to his fellow carny, especially in the cramped space they currently occupied.

"Oh, boy...Max is so easy...Just like his sister! Ha-Ha!" Bucky nearly toppled over as a new stream of laughter came belting out.

Edgar grunted, and shook his head.

"Why are you always so hard on him, Buck?" The giant asked.

The puppet gestured, as if dismissing the question.

"Max is a moron! He thinks he can just treat me like some run-of-the-mill blockhead...I mean, c'mon, look at me!" The doll jumped to his feet and twirled around, showing off his two-foot frame. "I sing, I dance, I write all of the jokes for our act. He would be nothing but a barker if it wasn't for me!"

"So why do you stick with him? Why not get your own act?"

Bucky sat back down and thought for a minute before responding, "I would, but truth is, if it wasn't for Max, I woudl still be locked in a trunk dryrotting, so I guess I owe him for gettin' me out."

He paused, before continuing, "But as soon as I feel that debt is paid, I'm gone. No strings attached."

Bucky nodded, as if agreeing with himself. Edgar nodded too, but was more because he was sleepy than agreeing with the Dummy.

"So, did you hear how the ventriloquist died? Somebody stuck a scratch-and-sniff sticker on the bottom of the pool! Ha...."

4 comments:

  1. Maybe I'm rushing too much, but I didn't get the last joke.

    Lee
    Tossing It Out
    Twitter hashtag: #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really liked the story. Especially one line: "But as soon as I feel that debt is paid, I'm gone. No strings attached." Life can be sometimes just like that. We feel attached to someone, or something, because of a "debt" we feel needs to be paid. I love the freedom afterwards!!

    LOL at the joke... cruel though!

    Doris
    www.doris-socialworker.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pay the debt, and move on. Your stories gut punch. Great writing.
    Ann Carbine Best’s Long Journey Home

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't wait to read more.
    http://debragrayelliott.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete