Thursday, April 7, 2011

"Greasepaint"

Every clown has a face, and every good face tells a story. It's more than just a big, red nose and greasepaint. It's about creating a unique character. Like any other act, it's all in the presentation. That's what separates the professions jokers for the birthday party bozos.

The clothes, the comedic style, even the act itself all hinges on the face. It's a product to be sold. If the suit makes the man, then the paint makes the clown.

But the clown has to believe in it too. He or she must embrace the face and become one with the character. I am Deadeye the Daring with or without my paint. The makeup only allows the Juggling Jester to surface and give the people a show.

Without my paint, I am nothing more than a deformed madman. Crippled before I was born by the stroke I suffered while still in the womb. My left side is weakened, the muscles of my face drooping obscenely. I am blind on that side as well, and my left eye rolls wildly beneath the lid that never fully closes. Psychiatrists have diagnosed me as insane. The state has institutionalized me eight times.

Without my pain, I am social pariah. With it, I am a star.

3 comments:

  1. Fascinating. You've found on your artistic side a way to compensate for your weaknesses and limitations. You found your strength in paint. We all need to find "our paint" --don't we?

    Doris

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post is brilliant. I how you end it, social pariah or shooting star.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a very interesting characterization. It symbolizes how many of us hide behind our "trademarks".

    ReplyDelete