Thursday, September 30, 2010

"In Honor Of..." (Part III)

From music and books, I move into the realm of modern society's most influencial forums, television and film. Now I have often heard it said that these platforms are negative influences but I choose to recognize the artistic qualities of motion pictures. I cannot deny the influence television and film has had on me from a creative standpoint. Of course, as with anything we do in life, if there is not moderation it can be bad.

Television was a huge inspiration and source of entertainment early on in my life. Movies were visual stimulants and intriguing storylines that created new realities. I still remember the first movie script I wrote was a sequel to Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. I had just seen the movie and was so inspired, I went home and began writing a "follow-up".

Television and movies remain a sourse of inspriation for me, though I am finding less and less quality programming. Hopefully the tide will shift and the power of motion pictures will once again acheive the gold age.

I offer three lists here: My 10 favorite TV shows, My 10 favorite movies adn my 10 favorite film makers (in no particular order):

TELEVISION

1. The Muppet Show
2. The Incredible Hulk
3. The Twilight Zone
4. The A-Team
5. Quantum Leap
6. Twin Peaks
7. Seinfeld
8. Buffy the Vampire Slayer/ Angel
9. Las Vegas
10. Family Guy

* Recently I have become addicted to the ABC Family show PRETTY LITTLE LIARS which reminds me of a watered down, PG version of TWIN PEAKS. Excellent program.

MOVIES

1. True Romance
2. Back to the Future
3. Ghost Busters
4. Unforgiven
5. The Goonies
6. Unbreakable
7. Mallrats
8. Dark City
9. Raising Arizona
10. Legends of the Fall

FILM MAKERS

1. Joel & Ethan Cohen
2. Quentin Taratino
3. David Lynch
4. Clint Eastwood
5. Stanley Kubrick
6. Stephen Spielberg/ George Lucas
7. Ivan Reitman
8. Francis Ford Coppola
9. Wes Craven
10. Mel Brooks

3 comments:

  1. Dark City! I don't see that movie listed often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was skeptical about Pretty Little Liars, but now I'm going to watch it. I watched Dark City with Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dark City was a very good film. I had some of the TV shows and directors on my favorites list a while back. I didn't have any of those films on my top 10 list, but there are some good films in this list.

    Lee

    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete